My Blog List

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Still Experimenting

I am so new to clay I still feel everything I do is an experiment.  I would like to think I know what things are going to look like when they come out, but many times I am disappointed.  Sometimes I am happy with what was done.  And thank goodness, I've learned to take notes, so maybe I can do what I like again.
I am a collector by nature, very sentimental and I have a house full of stuff that appeals to me.  One of those things is an old salt shaker in a beautiful blue glass that I think is Victorian, but I'm not sure, all I know for sure is that I like it.  I used that salt shaker to make a mold for some pendants and here is how it turned out:
 

Maybe not too bad for a beginner.
I used Celedon for the top one and a Hot Orchid in the center with Lavender Lupine around the edges of the second set.  They are glazed over the sides but not on the back.  I usually initial and date the back.  These were laid flat in the kiln and I'm happy with the way these turned out.  


8 comments:

  1. Ooo -very nice pieces :) Especially think the purple and blue and swirls look great together.
    PS - Wicked cute pets :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa! I love my fur babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did great for a "beginner". I think it takes finding the stuff that you are drawn to, make it your own, then your voice starts to emerge... And glazes are never super easy to just have come out perfect. Experimenting with colors, application & firing techniques is a great way to take your work even further. Congrats on these marvelous pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the colors of the second one. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny. The unexpected is what I love about making ceramic beads and pendants. I love the fact that when you put it into the kiln, you really have NO idea how it will look when it comes out. Some of my friends hate that about it. Welcome to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful....Love the Hot orchid....is this porcelain or earthenware?

    ReplyDelete